Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sept 12th
PJ had to work today so I decided to be a slave of the kitchen. I made Julia Child's recipe for French Onion Soup. Along the way, I learned a few things. I had read somewhere that if you keep some type of flame lit near where you are cutting onions, you won't get teary eyed. I decided to try it.
I sliced up 6 POUNDS of onions ......

and it completely filled up the dutch oven. Guess what?????? Not one tear!!!!!!

The second thing I learned today was that you shouldn't put so many onions in too small of a pot. Mine was filled to the top and all it did was steam the onions. It took about 2 HOURS before they started to carmelize. CRAZY!
It was a labor of love though. The soup turned out DELICIOUS! I'll have to add the recipe to my cooking blog .

No comments:

Post a Comment