Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Aug 29th
Today was spent mostly cooking. Alyssa made the Gumbo and I made the Jambalaya, Corn Bread and the Corn and Crab Soup.
I didn't realize it when we picked the date for this feast but today is the anniversary of when Hurricane Katrine hit New Orleans. What a perfect day to honor the people and part of what makes them special.

On the menu...
Corn & Crab Soup
Gumbo
Jambalaya
Red Beans
RiceShrinp Etouffee
Corn Bread


When everyone (-4) arrived, they were hungry and ready to dig in!
We started with the Gumbo and the Corn & Crab Soup. I didn't think to take pictures so we'll use our imaginations!
This is the Shrimp Etouffee
This is the Corn Bread cooked in my favorite cast iron pan


This is the Jambalaya which really needed to be darker in color but tasted good.


This is the Red Beans that go with rice. Those things take 4 HOURS to cook!



As usual.... here's a picture of my plate!

I put labels on the table so everyone will know what they're eating and didn't have to keep asking. Scott and Alyssa thought it was nerdy!


From the left... Scott, Holler (Alyssa's friend from Plattsburgh), Alyssa peeking her head out, Cassie (Alyssa's roommate from Plattsburgh), Kristen and Krystal (friends since middle school) and PJ.

I have to say... I was very impressed with our efforts. It was a lot of work but everyone enjoyed themselves and had a great food experience. Most of the kids had never had this kind of foods so it was great to have them try them. I think my favorites were the Gumbo and the Shrimp Etouffee. YUM!!! Good times!!







No comments:

Post a Comment