Monday, March 23, 2009

Do men...OLD men ... see an invitation on my forehead to start chatting with me?? Wherever I go, men find me to talk to about their lives. On Saturday it was a guy from the vegetable store, a few years ago while looking at the BBQ sauces in Pathmark, a man struck up a conversation with me and it led into him telling me about his colonoscopy! Today, it was at Jones Beach!
School was canceled today because there wasn't any heat or electricity. I decided to go for a walk at the beach being that I haven't done that in a while. It was so cold and windy and I was definately not dressed appropriately. I got as far as Field 4, just at the spot where Trump has his baracades out for the restaurant, and I hit a warm spot. Those baracades were blocking the wind. I decided to sit on a bench and catch a few rays and just relax, taking in the warmth. I was totally enjoying myself, listening in to a conversation of 2 women talking about one of their husbands found cheating on her! All of a sudden a man started telling me that I shouldn't be sitting, I should be walking! I didn't want to end up walking in his direction so I lied and said that I already walked to the end and was on my way back. He started talking about Trump, how the beach has changed over the years etc and they he sat down! I have to admit, his conversations were pretty interesting. He was a ski instructer for the army and one day he came down a hill and passed the bar tow and saw that a girl's scarf was caught on the bar of the tow. It started dragging her towards the mechanics as it was tightening around her neck. He whipped off his skis, got out his pocket knife, and cut the scarf off of her neck. He moved her away from the tow and realized that she wasn't breathing. He said that he did 18 rounds of CPR when she finally started breathing. He brought her to her hotel room. The next day she asked if he could drive her home because the bus had already left, so he did. She invited him to a hockey game for the next day at MSG. She told him to wait by the ticket booth. He was standing there for over 1/2 hour when a big black car pulled over and a highly decorated military man got out of the car and approached him. He wanted to thank this man for saving his friend's daughter's life. He shook his hand. That man was Gen. Douglas MacArthur.
This man's family is from Norway and he would go a few times a year to visit them. An aunt died and left him a lot of land which he sold and made a lot of money from it. He's 83 years old! He wife died 9 years ago and he has been looking to find someone to have as a companion and hasn't found anyone that he felt comfortable talking with.... until yesterday! He asked if I was married and I said yes and very happily married! I said I have 4 kids too! He then asked if I had a twin because he'd want to marry her. I took this as a clue to get the heck out of there! I said it was nice chatting with him and that I had to go home and cook a turkey breast (GREAT recipe! It will be in my cooking blog!). I stood up and he went to shake my hand so I figured what the heck. I extended my hand and all of a sudden, he pulled me in to a big hug! OMG! THAT'S IT! I got so flustered that I turned and started walking and said have a nice day! WHY ME??? Chris said it's because I'm a good listener but I don't get what attracts them to me in the first place, without even opening up my mouth! Do I have a sign on my forehead???

No comments:

Post a Comment