Saturday, May 23, 2009

May 18th

It's Monday and our last day to have fun. The kids gave us $ last night so PJ and I can go out for a romantic dinner WITHOUT KIDS! The hard part will be to decide where to go!


We all spent the day walking around the French Quarter, riding the street car, going to cemeteries, the 9th Ward etc. It was an exhausting afternoon. We also packed for leaving tomorrow.


This is a paupers cemetery. We heard that sometimes you can see the outline of the bodies because they're only buried in 12" of dirt! YUCK!!

I took a picture a neat looking tree. (I have since accidently deleted it but I had the part in question below saved.) After I took it, PJ said to Scott... "Did you hear that kid on the campus yeaterday that was commenting on my Cornell shirt? He asked me if I knew a Dr. James Turner. Look at that headstone!!!" He then pointed to the one that's on the left in the picture. The headstone had the name Dr. James Turner on it!! That was very strange!!!

After that cemetery, we went to the typical looking cemetery that's in New Orleans. They have individual mouseleum type things for families. They are all above ground because N.O's is below sea level and in the event of a flood, if the bodies were buried, they would float to the top. I would guess that's what happens in the pauper cemetery.

The 9th Ward has been cleaned up a lot! There are still some houses that show the 'X' from Katrina. The date the house was searched is on the X. Below, that house was searched for people on 9-2 a week after the hurricane.






As we were riding around, we spotted this house with the silhouette painted on it. These silhouettes are very famous in New Orleans but pretty scarce!
We got to show the kids what a leeve actually looks like. It's not at all what people invision.
We got dressed and decided to find a restaurant that either had a nice balcony or patio area so we could eat outside. We decided on The Original French Market. It overlooks the markets and there was a jazz band playing at the market. That was good because being that we were on the balcony, the music was soft and peaceful.

I got the crabcakes which were delicious. The vegetable was some corn dish that had andoulie saugage in it! Very strange but very good. I took most of my meal back to the hotel. I was STUFFED!

No comments:

Post a Comment